Priti Suri is the founder-partner of PSA and a seasoned lawyer with over thirty one years experience spread across three continents. In the course of her career, Priti has developed the firm and represented its international and domestic clients in the full range of cross-border M&A transactions, strategic investments, joint-ventures including tender and exchange offers, venture capital financings, structuring private equity deals, leveraged buyouts and divestitures. Working closely with senior management of the firm’s clients, she also counsels public and private companies on competition law, corporate governance, executive compensation, director responsibilities and fiduciary duties, general corporate advice, listing issues and project finance matters. A business lawyer, known for her pragmatic ability to get the deal done, she has advised clients operating in many different sectors, including aerospace, automotive, chemicals, defense, energy, infrastructure, media, life sciences, pharmaceuticals, telecom and technology.
Litigation exposure in India and overseas provided her with knowledge of contentious issues that arise in business contracts and, spanning a long career, she has advised several clients in dispute resolution as well. Recognizing that, she was also appointed as “Special Counsel” to the State of Ohio, Office of Attorney General, in relation to advice on India related litigation matters.
Exposure to international transactions while working in US and Europe has given her a flexibility to interact easily with clients from all jurisdictions. Additionally, her multi-lingual skills of English, French, Hindi and Punjabi (native language) have proved to be very useful in bridging cultural barriers.
- Counseled a large French telecom multinational, prepared detailed documentation in French while analyzing global tenders between French multinationals and state entities including various governments in South-East Asia and Africa
- Advised large and mid-sized US corporations in ICC and AAA arbitrations exceeding values of $100-500 million in a wide range of sectors
- Acted for one of the world’s largest steel conglomerates in an inbound investment in India where the value was in excess of $900 million
- Represented a telecom company in its market entry and negotiations with the state sector companies in the setting up of a satellite for hand-held mobile communications
- Counseled a European multinational with a presence in 65 countries and a yearly turnover of $10 billion, on its Indian investment options including structuring and securing regulatory approvals in a record time of less than 3 weeks
- Advised a listed European company on competition issues in the context of a proposed US acquisition leading to equity stake in Indian subsidiaries and the related merger control implications
- Advised a large freight forwarding company in acquisitions involving multiple jurisdictions – US, India, France, Hong Kong, Sri Lanka, Nepal and Bangladesh
- Represented private equity investors on a host of issues in a $300 million transaction where two US companies merged and inherited listed Indian companies
- Counseled a US based private-equity fund on structuring, compliance and registration issues in a US $900 million LBO in Asia with a substantial inflow of money in the Indian subsidiary
- Advised a consortium of Japanese, European and Indian entities in varied contracts with Delhi Metro Rail Corporation
- Counseled French and German companies in negotiations with Indian government in public-private partnerships for developing and financing infrastructure projects in India by means of different models including BOT, BLT or BRT, BOO etc.
- Participated in and advised an Indian company engaged in the digital mapping and satellite navigation space in start- to-finish several rounds of investments funding of more $50 million from strategic and financial investors
- Successfully advised and won a dispute for a subsidiary of large French energy corporation where the values between the claim and the counter-claim were half a billion Euros
- Representing an infrastructure company in a PPP World Bank-assisted US$100 million toll bridge project in Delhi in connection with land acquisition by Delhi Government which involved review and settling compensation claims
- Representing American and European entities on regulatory and liability issues emerging from conducting clinical trials, import of drugs, cosmetics, import laws and procedures, pricing of medical devices and drugs
- Representing a large French multinational in the automotive sector in all its Indian operations, acquisitions and joint- ventures with investments close to Euros 500 million
- Advised several European services/technology/engineering/aerospace companies in their acquisitions in India where the structuring was through purchase of US or UK operations with values between Euros 25-150 million
- Advised and assisted French and North American defence OEMs in negotiating the terms of RFPs in defence acquisition by the Indian armed forces
- Active within the domestic and international legal community, Priti is currently
- Immediate Past Chair of the Women Business Lawyers’ Committee of the Inter-Pacific Bar Association
- Past Chair of the India Committee of the American Bar Association’s International Law Section
- Co-founder member and President of Society of Women Lawyers – India, a newly created platform for women lawyers across India
- Co-Chair of Public Policy Committee of International Technology Law Association