Sowmya was enrolled as an Advocate in 2007. An alumni of the School of Excellence in Law, Dr. Ambedkar Law University, Chennai, she is also a qualified Company Secretary with an All India Rank in 2011. She is the head of the Chennai office.
Prior to joining PSA, she spent a decade at Surana and Surana International Attorneys where she was handling the corporate law practice of the firm.
During her career, Sowmya has handled several corporate restructuring matters including M&A, joint ventures, foreign direct investment and has covered diverse aspects of business and commercial laws. Additionally, as part of her advice to many corporations she focuses on general corporate law as well as HR and labour law and other laws affecting day-to-day business activities. She has also been appointed as member of internal complaints committee of various companies and advised them on POSH related compliances. In her representations, she has conducted, led and prepared detailed due diligence reports across different industries which also includes amalgamation of three public sector banks and drafted project finance and other transaction documents. Her real-estate portfolio covers end-to-end work from due diligence to drafting and closing on large lands involving large scale developmental projects. She has also been involved in both international and domestic arbitration assignments.
Sowmya is enrolled with the Bar Council of Tamilnadu and Puducherry.
- Advised an Italian conglomerate engaged in wind energy sector in a joint venture with an Indian conglomerate involving structuring and negotiating all the documents as well as incorporation, corporate compliance and acquisition of assets
- Advised German corporations in operating their manufacturing units in India and acquisition of property for their expansion
- Advised a Belgian investment management company to acquire a substantial stake in an NBFC in India and structured the deal with minimal compliance mechanism
- Advised a Japanese paint manufacturer on its HR policy, labour legislations, rules and regulations in different states in India and their compliances
- Advised an Australian logistics property specialist in the largest warehousing asset transaction in India acquired through its joint venture with a Singapore based real-estate developer and conducted real-estate due diligence exercise prior to strategic investment
- Assisted several Indian companies in structuring their business and retailer arrangements
- Acted for international and domestic companies concerning appointment of key personnel and the relevant tax and legal implications and FRRO compliances
- Represented an Indian conglomerate engaged in textile industry on its HR and labour related compliances, structuring of business with its suppliers and customers
- Advised high net worth individuals on wills, family settlements, family law matters, establishing private and family trusts
- Represented several real estate developers and individuals and led due diligences for joint development, sale and lease of immovable property and superstructure
- Advised several start-ups and venture funds for their operation, licensing and other regulatory requirements