Varun Kalsi was enrolled as an advocate in 2007 and holds an honors degree in law from Amity Law School, Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University in New Delhi. He has represented India at the Stetson International Environmental Law Moot Court Competition in 2005 at Tampa, Florida, and thereafter, has also judged moot court competitions at law schools in India. Thereafter, he pursued LL.M. in Corporation Law from New York University School of Law, New York, which he completed in 2008. During his LL.M studies, he participated actively in the NYU Journal of Law & Business as its Graduate Editor.
Upon graduation from NYU, he returned to India and worked with Dua Associates in their Corporate & Real-Estate team at New Delhi, and joined PSA as a Partner in early 2018. His professional experience of the past decade has been in general corporate, commercial and transactional matters with a focus on advisory and commercial laws. Varun has advised and continues to represent global conglomerates, international NGOs, and Indian companies on a wide range of topics. He heads the Real-Estate practice and co-heads the Commercial law practice at PSA. He has done extensive work in the real-estate domain where, amongst others, he has led teams and conducted title due diligences on different kinds of land (agricultural, residential, commercial and industrial), structuring sale and purchase of real-estate, joint development arrangements between land owners and developers and leasing transactions. Varun has also represented HNIs on succession and family matters involving regulation of internal family arrangements efficaciously. He has counseled his clients on defence procurement matters including issues on appointment of or utilization of services of an agent. As part of his representations for multinationals, Varun advises them on important day-to-day issues in labor and employment matters including hiring, termination, superannuation and social benefits. This involves structuring employment agreements and creating HR policies. His practice includes advising clients on matters concerning cyber crimes and copyright violation.
Varun is enrolled with the Bar Council of Delhi and is a member of Delhi High Court Bar Association.
- Counseled a UAE based developer on aspects of law and policy concerning foreign investment in the real-estate sector in India
- Advised an American aviation manufacturer on its internal employee policies vis-a-vis relative employee laws, rules and regulations in different Indian states
- Advised an American corporation on legalities concerning supply of defence equipment to the Ministry of Defence, Government of India
- Counseled Japanese corporations on legal issues and compliance pertaining to anti-competitive behavior and abuse of dominant position under the Indian anti-trust regime
- Represented American and Australian conglomerates in transactions involving structuring and negotiating deals concerning development, construction, leasing and sale-purchase of immovable property (commercial, residential and industrial) in different Indian states representing both owners and investors
- Led several real-estate due diligences for American corporations, Indian entities and individuals, from the perspective of joint development, leasing and/or sale-purchase of immovable property
- Represented a Thai corporation in the solar energy sector for conducting real-estate diligence exercise prior to intended acquisition of an Indian target engaged in the solar power sector
- Advised an Indian entity engaged in the wind energy sector in a real-estate diligence as a pre-condition to stock exchange listing in Singapore
- Represented a British hotel and coffee shop operator in a real-estate diligence prior to intended acquisition of all its India franchisees
- Counseled an Indian aerated beverage franchisee in a real-estate diligence pre-requisite for a business transfer arrangement between it and its franchisor
- Advised an Indian company on matters concerning their rights, entitlements and obligations as a concessionaire of infrastructure project(s) in India
- Assisted several Indian companies in structuring their franchise arrangements with domestic and international organizations
- Counseled High Net Individuals on family law matters including establishing private trusts, structuring gifts, Will(s), family settlements and partitions
- Advised a multinational technology services company on their compliance with the FDI regulations and licensing matters
- Counseled an American company on their employment structure concerning personnel to be hired in India and relative income tax implications
- Advised an American multinational conglomerate on its labor law compliances in India
- Advised an American corporation on compliance with the Indian information technology law