Dhruv enrolled as an Advocate in 2009 and completed his Master of Laws (LL.M.) from Columbia Law School, New York in 2014. Prior to going for his LL.M. in 2013, he was a Senior Associate at PSA and advised large multi-national companies in the aviation & aerospace, retail, healthcare, defence, TMT, education and automotive sectors.
As a Principal Associate, Dhruv co-heads, Victus, PSA’s practice area focused on advising start-ups, private equity, venture capital and angel investors, as well as leads the Competition Law practice group. He is also an active member of the Corporate/M&A as well as the Dispute Resolution group.
Dhruv’s practice includes representing clients before the Competition Commission of India as well as other judicial and quasi-judicial forums on complex competition law issues. He also reviews contracts and commercial arrangements to assess compliance with competition laws as well as assists clients with the necessary merger control filings. During his LL.M, Dhruv also worked as a Research Assistant on a legal project jointly undertaken by Columbia Law School and Duke University that aims to collect, qualify and analyze the world’s antitrust laws and enforcement trends. More details regarding this project can be found here
As a co-head of Victus, Dhruv takes personal interest in overseeing the start-up, PE &VC space and advises them on a range of practice areas such as corporate, contracts, compliance, M&A, intellectual property, etc.
- Represented large conglomerates before the Competition Commission of India in relation to complaints pertaining to anti-competitive agreements and abuse of dominant position
- Advised start-ups in the education, technology and hospitality space on a range of contractual and licensing queries. Drafted various contracts and assisted in procuring business licenses from different authorities
- Represented and advised a large information technology company in the digital mapping and satellite navigation space in start-to-finish funding from strategic and financial investors
- Represented a large US furniture manufacturer in the acquisition of an Indian furniture manufacturing company and lead the due diligence process under direct supervision of the Partner
- Advised a European telecom company in seeking permissions and approvals from the Department of Telecommunication and advised them on Indian foreign exchange regulations and compliances
- Represented US and European clients in the conducting corporate, commercial, regulatory and intellectual property due diligence of Indian companies for acquisitions; both asset and stock purchase as well as in structuring entry and exit options in joint ventures
- Advised a US social media company on Indian copyright regulations and data protection laws to create an online platform for artists and bands to partner and compete in musical and lyrical content
- Advised a large US telecom equipment manufacturer on aspects of Indian custom laws and represented them before Special Valuation Branches of the Chennai and Bangalore custom authorities
- Advised a US cosmetics company with labelling laws and represented them before the custom authorities in Delhi with respect to their Indian imports
- Represented and advised large French and German companies in arbitration proceedings in India and thereafter in defending the arbitral award before different judicial forums
- Represented pharmaceutical companies before the drug pricing regulator on issues of substantial penalty claims for charging in excess of the drug prices fixed by the regulator
- Represented a US online retail company in a cyber squatting dispute before the Bombay High Court
- Represented multiple Indian companies at the district court, consumer forums and high courts in litigations, ranging from suit for recovery, challenging/defending arbitral awards, specific performance suits, dishonour of negotiable instruments, etc. and drafted pleadings and conducted arguments
- Criminal liability of Companies” published in the Corporate Law Advisor (2007) 80 CLA (Mag.) 78
- “Valuation in a global downturn” published in International Law Office’s corporate/finance segment, June 2009
- “A tale of lights, camera, taxation” published by taxindiaonline.com, June 2009
- “Impact of the latest FDI regime on M&A and the Bharti-MTN deal” published in International Law Office’s corporate/finance segment, July 2009
- “Social networking sites and identity thefts” published in the India Business Law Journal, March 2010
- “Resolving disputes in cross-border transactions” published in International Law Office’s corporate/finance segment, May 2011
- Co-authored “Competition Commission Takes Hold of M&A Activity”, for American Bar Association’s India Law News, March 2012