The fundamental aspect governing any real-estate practice is evaluation of risk and return, which can be at country, market or deal level. This analysis is critical for those seeking to invest in real-estate either through foreign investment or otherwise and associated risks can be minimized by innovative structuring and forward thinking.
Our real-estate practice covers varied aspects of real-estate investment commencing from conducting title due diligence of the target property (which may be an exhaustive or limited due diligence commensurate with the ultimate objective), assessment of applicable zoning regulations prescribing land use, as well as advising, structuring and drafting documents for joint development, collaboration and construction agreements. We regularly engage with clients in lease and sale/purchase of immovable property of all categories, be it commercial, industrial, residential, and agricultural, which typically involves drafting and/or registration of conveyance deeds and other title relative documents such as allotment letters, flat buyer’s agreements, agreement for sale, joint development or collaboration agreements, lease deeds, leave and licence agreements, term sheets, memorandum of agreement(s), letter of intent, power of attorneys. Our team is competent to handle and counsel on applicable governmental and other compliances in respect of the target property. We also assist in negotiations with state industrial development agencies in greenfield or brownfield industrial projects. The advice involves hand-holding clients through the entire process until execution and registration of documents, including quantification of stamp duty, registration costs and implications. With the introduction of Real Estate (Regulation and Development) Act, 2016 and respective state rules, our lawyers have been regularly advising developers and land owners, and conducting information sessions for stakeholders.
- Counseling an Asian client on establishment of resorts in India, including conducting due diligence of the land
- Representing a US-based real-estate company on its contracts in the development of the commercial portions of Aamby Valley City
- Acting for a large Indian eco-hotel chain and advising them on the state of Haryana’s specific land laws
- Representing a large US corporation in its facilities management contracts in India for large commercial shopping malls and smaller shopping complexes
- Representing a British financial conglomerate in their investments into real-estate projects in India by assisting in due diligence, negotiations, and documentation
- Representing a multinational corporation in facilitating leasing of appropriate land that could be used for its laboratory activities in the National Capital Region of Delhi and conducting extensive due diligence on industrial land in the states of Haryana and Uttar Pradesh in this behalf
- Counseling a French sports goods retailer on establishing its India presence across the states of Bangalore, Chandigarh, Chennai, Delhi, Goa, Maharashtra and Uttar Pradesh and advising them on the applicable land laws
- Represented an American corporation and their Indian subsidiary in acquisition and subsequent sale of land in the state of Himachal Pradesh and advised them on the applicable land laws
- Conducting extensive desktop land due diligence and providing opinion on the title for land spread across the states of Rajasthan, Chennai, Gujarat and Maharashtra for a Hyderabad based wind energy company in a business trust listing at Singapore
- Advised several healthtech and fintech start-ups on diverse aspects of data protection, processing and privacy governance framework
- Conducting extensive desktop land due diligence on land in the states of Gujarat, Rajasthan and Tamil Nadu, and providing opinions on the title prior to acquisition of an Indian solar power company by a foreign corporation
- Conducting desktop land due diligence on land situated in the states of Delhi and Haryana and providing opinions on the title as a prerequisite to a business transfer between a global aerated beverages manufacturer and it’s franchisee in India